Charles de Gaulle Quotes

Charles André Joseph Marie de Gaulle (22 November 1890 – 9 November 1970) was a French general, resistant, writer and statesman. He was the leader of Free France (1940–44) and the head of the Provisional Government of the French Republic (1944–46). In 1958, he founded the Fifth Republic and was elected as the 18th President of France, until his resignation in 1969. He was the dominant figure of France during the Cold War era and his memory continues to influence French politics.

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.
   
It is not tolerable, it is not possible, that from so much death, so much sacrifice and ruin, so much heroism, a greater and better humanity shall not emerge.
   
Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back on himself. He imposes his own stamp of action, takes responsibility for it, makes it his own.
   
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so.
   
Don't ask me who's influenced me. A lion is made up of the lambs he's digested, and I've been reading all my life.
   
France has lost the battle but she has not lost the war.
   
Treaties are like roses and young girls. They last while they last.

How can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?
   
In politics it is necessary either to betray one's country or the electorate. I prefer to betray the electorate.
   
France cannot be France without greatness.

Greatness is a road leading towards the unknown.
   
The leader must aim high, see big, judge widely, thus setting himself apart form the ordinary people who debate in narrow confines.

For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.

I respect only those who resist me, but I cannot tolerate them.
   
Since a politician never believes what he says, he is quite surprised to be taken at his word.
   
Deliberation is the work of many men. Action, of one alone.
   
The sword is the axis of the world and its power is absolute.

Politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.

No country without an atom bomb could properly consider itself independent.

When I am right, I get angry. Churchill gets angry when he is wrong. We are angry at each other much of the time.
   
I grew up to always respect authority and respect those in charge.
   
Silence is the ultimate weapon of power.
   
The graveyards are full of indispensable men.

You have to be fast on your feet and adaptive or else a strategy is useless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Franklin D. Roosevelt Quotes

Robin Williams

Queen Victoria Quotes