Jimmy Wales Quotes

Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales (born August 7, 1966) is an American Internet entrepreneur best known as the co-founder and promoter of the online non-profit encyclopedia Wikipedia and the for-profit Wikia web hosting company.

If it isn't on Google, it doesn't exist.

Things work well when a group of people know each other, and things break down when it's a bunch of random people interacting.
  
I'm a big advocate of freedom: freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of thought.
  
While I'm optimistic about the direction the world is headed, generally, I think there is a need for constant vigilance and pressure on repressive governments.
  
People do fun and interesting things because they're fun and interesting.
  
I don't worry. It's just not in my nature, really.

Free speech includes the right to not speak.
  
We've seen how grassroots journalism by blogs has had an impact at various points politically, as ordinary people have amplified stories that were being ignored by the traditional press.
  
I have always viewed the mission of Wikipedia to be much bigger than just creating a killer website. We're doing that of course, and having a lot of fun doing it, but a big part of what motivates us is our larger mission to affect the world in a positive way.
  
We are still in the very beginnings of the Internet.
  
The mainland Chinese tend to take a Chinese mainland point of view on controversial issues, and the Taiwanese take another the Taiwanese viewpoint.
  
We have to come together, worldwide, and 'think.' We have a tool - the internet - to let us do that. Let's use it wisely.
  
I worry about censorship in many parts of the world.
  
Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing.
  
The core of Wikipedia is something people really believe in. That is too valuable for the world to screw it up.

My view is that good community management is like having good municipal government: You should be able to have dissenting opinions and so on, freedom of speech, but your grandmother should also be able to walk down the street at night without having to worry about getting mugged.
  
I tend to eat things in fours. I'll eat four nuts, four grapes, four chips at a time. I don't know why. It's not really a superstition. I don't think anything bad will happen if I don't, but three potato chips doesn't seem right.

The goal is to give people a free encyclopedia to every person in the world, in their own language. Not just in a 'free beer' kind of way, but also in the free speech kind of way.
  
I still believe there is a need to open up search and it will come eventually. It is very important to challenge the current models.
  
What can we put into the hands of people under oppressive regimes to help them? For me, a big part of it is information, knowledge - the ability to defeat propaganda by understanding it.

I have no regular schedule. I get up whenever I can.
  
I'm very much an Enlightenment kind of guy.
  
If you see a blatant error or misconception about yourself, you really want to set it straight.
  
We don't need secrecy.

My being some kind of celebrity - not a real celebrity, isn't a welcome part of the job.

You shouldn't use anything as the sole source for anything, in my view.
   

   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Franklin D. Roosevelt Quotes

Robin Williams

Queen Victoria Quotes